Saturday, June 27, 2015

Yoga & the Echo

   I'm one week into my 100-hour yoga intensive. When I first was moving back to NYC I was flirting with the idea of teaching yoga. When I signed up for the training I was sure about it. But as the time approached, as I worked a lot of hours to pay for it and spent less time making music I started to consider more what that life would actually look like.

   Teaching yoga is serious business and takes a lot of research, hustle, and passion to do well. Mind you, I don't think all yoga teachers are doing it well, but I don't half-ass things. But the fact of the matter is that if I wanted to teach yoga the way it should be taught it would require so much of my time and energy that I wouldn't ever get to the music.

Fuck that.

   What's interesting is that I don't feel like I'm in the wrong place in this training. My instinct to do it was dead on. But the story I had to tell myself to get myself to do it was not. I had to entertain this fantasy about teaching so I could get myself to advance my practice for my own betterment.

   So it's a good learning experience. Evidently I've been unwilling to invest in my own betterment for it's own sake if it didn't have commercial or public use. Time to explore...